top of page

Craft, activity and play ideas

Public·41 members

The Farm by Tom Rob Smith: A Novel of Secrets, Lies, and Madness

Tom Rob Smith The Farm PDF Download: A Psychological Thriller That Will Keep You Guessing

If you are looking for a captivating and suspenseful read that will keep you on the edge of your seat, you might want to check out The Farm by Tom Rob Smith. This is a psychological thriller novel that was published in 2014 and has received rave reviews from critics and readers alike. In this article, we will give you an overview of what this novel is about, why it is worth reading, and how you can download it in PDF format for free.

tom rob smith the farm pdf download

Introduction

What is The Farm by Tom Rob Smith?

The Farm is a psychological thriller novel by Tom Rob Smith, who is also the author of the acclaimed Child 44 trilogy. The novel is set in London and Sweden, and it follows the story of Daniel, whose life is turned upside down by an unexpected phone call from his father. His father tells him that his mother has been committed to a mental hospital after suffering from paranoid delusions. However, his mother claims that she is perfectly sane, and that his father is involved in a horrible crime and conspiracy that implicates their neighbors in rural Sweden. Daniel is left torn between his parents, and unsure of who to believe or trust. He decides to meet his mother at Heathrow airport, where she tells him an urgent tale of secrets, lies, and violence that will challenge his perception of reality.

Why is it a gripping and atmospheric novel?

The Farm is a gripping and atmospheric novel because it creates a sense of mystery, suspense, and uncertainty throughout. The reader is constantly wondering what is true and what is false, who is lying and who is telling the truth, who is sane and who is mad. The novel also explores themes such as mental health, family, culture, identity, and justice. The novel uses different narrative techniques, such as flashbacks, unreliable narration, stories within stories, and multiple perspectives, to create a complex and intriguing plot. The novel also evokes a vivid sense of place, contrasting the urban setting of London with the rural setting of Sweden, where the farm of the title is located.

How can you download it in PDF format?

If you want to download The Farm by Tom Rob Smith in PDF format for free, you can use one of the following methods:

• You can visit this website, where you can find a link to download the book in PDF or EPUB format. You will need to enter your email address and complete a short survey to access the download link.

• You can visit this website, where you can preview the book on Google Books. You can then use a tool such as PDFmyURL to convert the web page into a PDF file.

• You can visit this website, where you can borrow the book from your local library using OverDrive. You will need to sign in with your library card and download the book to your device. You can then use a tool such as Calibre to convert the book into a PDF file.

Summary of The Farm by Tom Rob Smith

What is the main plot of the novel?

The main plot of the novel is Daniel's attempt to unravel the truth behind his mother's allegations and his father's denial. He listens to his mother's account of what happened on the farm, where she and his father moved after selling their home and business in London. She tells him that she discovered a series of clues that led her to believe that their neighbors, who seemed friendly and harmless, were actually part of a sinister network that preyed on young women, especially immigrants and refugees. She also accuses his father of being complicit in their crimes, and of trying to silence her by drugging her and sending her to a mental hospital. Daniel is skeptical of his mother's story, but he also has doubts about his father's version of events. He decides to investigate the matter himself, by visiting the farm and talking to the people involved. He soon realizes that there is more to the story than he expected, and that he has to make a difficult choice between loyalty and justice.

Who are the main characters and what are their roles?

The main characters of the novel are:

• Daniel: He is the protagonist and narrator of the novel. He is a young man who lives in London with his partner Mark, who is an architect. He works as a graphic designer, but he is not very passionate about his job. He has a strained relationship with his parents, who he feels are distant and judgmental. He is shocked and confused by their sudden crisis, and he tries to find out the truth.

• Tilde: She is Daniel's mother and one of the narrators of the novel. She is a Swedish woman who met Daniel's father in London, where they married and raised Daniel. She is a former nurse, who gave up her career to support her husband's business. She is an intelligent, creative, and adventurous woman, who loves gardening, painting, and writing. She suffers from bipolar disorder, which she manages with medication. She believes that she has uncovered a terrible secret on the farm, and that she is in danger.

• Chris: He is Daniel's father and one of the narrators of the novel. He is an Englishman who moved to Sweden with his wife after retiring from his successful career as an entrepreneur. He is a practical, rational, and reserved man, who likes order and routine. He denies his wife's accusations, and claims that she is delusional and paranoid. He tries to convince Daniel that his mother needs professional help.

• Håkan: He is one of the neighbors on the farm, and one of the suspects in Tilde's story. He is a friendly and helpful man, who owns a large property with several cottages that he rents out to tourists. He also runs a charity that helps immigrants and refugees find jobs and accommodation. He has a close relationship with Tilde, who he considers as a friend and confidante.

• Mia: She is one of the neighbors on the farm, and one of the suspects in Tilde's story. She is a young woman who works as Håkan's assistant in his charity. She is an immigrant from Estonia, who came to Sweden after escaping from an abusive relationship. She is shy, quiet, and grateful for Håkan's kindness.

Review of The Farm by Tom Rob Smith

What are the strengths and weaknesses of the novel?

The Farm by Tom Rob Smith is a novel that has many strengths and few weaknesses. Some of the strengths are:

• The novel is well-written, with a clear and engaging style that keeps the reader hooked from the first page to the last.

• The novel is well-structured, with a clever and unpredictable plot that twists and turns until the final revelation.

• The novel is well-characterized, with realistic and complex characters that have their own motivations, flaws, and secrets.

• The novel is well-researched, with authentic details and descriptions of the Swedish culture, landscape, and history.

• The novel is well-thought-out, with a deep and nuanced exploration of themes such as mental health, family, truth, and justice.

Some of the weaknesses are:

• The novel is sometimes slow-paced, with some parts that drag on or repeat information that has already been revealed.

• The novel is sometimes confusing, with some parts that are unclear or contradictory, especially regarding the reliability of the narrators.

• The novel is sometimes implausible, with some parts that stretch the suspension of disbelief or rely on coincidences or cliches.

How does the novel compare to other works by Tom Rob Smith and other psychological thrillers?

The Farm by Tom Rob Smith is a novel that stands out among other works by the same author and other psychological thrillers. Compared to his previous novels, which were set in Stalin's Russia and focused on historical and political themes, The Farm is a more personal and intimate story that deals with contemporary and psychological themes. Compared to other psychological thrillers, which often rely on violence, gore, or supernatural elements to create tension and horror, The Farm uses more subtle and realistic methods to create mystery and suspense, such as unreliable narration, conflicting perspectives, and hidden clues.

What are some of the most memorable scenes and quotes from the novel?

Some of the most memorable scenes and quotes from the novel are:

• The scene where Daniel receives the phone call from his father that changes his life forever: \"I'm afraid there's been a situation. Your mother's not well. She's been imagining things terrible things.\"

• The scene where Daniel meets his mother at Heathrow airport and she shows him her satchel full of evidence: \"I'm sure your father has spoken to you. Everything that man has told you is a lie. I'm not mad. I don't need a doctor. I need the police.\"

• The scene where Daniel visits the farm in Sweden and discovers a shocking truth: \"I opened my eyes. I was lying on my back in a field of flowers. Above me was a clear blue sky. Beside me was a body.\"

• The quote where Tilde explains her motivation for telling her story: \"I'm not here to make you believe me. I'm here to make you listen.\"

• The quote where Chris expresses his frustration with Tilde's accusations: \"She's taken everything we've built together and turned it into a nightmare.\"

• The quote where Daniel reflects on his dilemma: \"Who do you trust when you can't trust anyone?\"

Conclusion

What is the final verdict on The Farm by Tom Rob Smith?

The final verdict on The Farm by Tom Rob Smith is that it is a brilliant and compelling psychological thriller that will keep you guessing until the end. It is a novel that combines a captivating plot, a complex and unreliable narration, a realistic and relatable characterization, and a rich and atmospheric setting. It is a novel that challenges your assumptions, tests your loyalties, and makes you question your own sanity. It is a novel that will make you think, feel, and wonder.

Who would enjoy reading this novel and why?

This novel would appeal to anyone who enjoys reading psychological thrillers, especially those who are fans of authors such as Stieg Larsson, Jo Nesbø, Karin Fossum, Gillian Flynn, and Paula Hawkins. It would also appeal to anyone who is interested in exploring themes such as mental health, family, truth, and justice. It would also appeal to anyone who likes to be surprised, intrigued, and entertained by a well-written and well-crafted story.

How can you get more information and updates on Tom Rob Smith and his other novels?

FAQs